The average cost for a basic move-out cleaning service for a 1-2 bedroom apartment in DC ranges from $80 to $150. The average for a 2-3 bedroom house cleaning ranges from $130 to $250.
Moving is already stressful enough without having to worry about cleaning your old place and new place. Getting your full security deposit back from your rental home depends on leaving it clean and damage-free. And you want your new place clean and ready to move into as well.
Hiring professional move-out and move-in cleaning services in Washington DC can save you time and ensure your places are cleaned properly. But how much does move-in/move-out cleaning cost on average in the DC area? What factors affect the price? This guide will cover average costs, what’s included, and tips for keeping your moving cleaning costs affordable.
Average Cost of Move-Out Cleaning
Some of the factors that influence move-out cleaning costs include:
- Location – Cleaning services will charge more for locations that take more time and gas to access. Cleanings in difficult-to-access areas like Georgetown or neighborhoods far outside the city center will cost more.
- Home Condition – The cleaner the home already is, the less time and work it will take to clean for the move-out. Messier homes take longer to clean.
- Size of Home – Larger homes with more bedrooms and bathrooms take more time to clean than smaller rentals.
- Add-On Services – Additional tasks like carpet cleaning, window washing, garage cleaning, and junk removal will add to the base rate.
What’s Included in Move-Out Cleaning
A standard move-out cleaning for a rental home or apartment in Washington DC typically includes:
- Deep cleaning of all rooms – sweep, mop, and vacuum floors
- Wipe down interior doors, baseboards, and trim
- Clean ceiling fans and light fixtures
- Clean all cabinets, drawers, and shelves
- Clean all appliances inside and out
- Clean sinks, counters, showers, tubs, toilets
- Clean mirrors, windows, sliding glass doors
- Sweep patios/decks/balconies
Reputable cleaning companies work to get the rental unit into the same clean condition it was when you moved in, so you can get your full deposit back.
Typical Cost of Move-In Cleaning
Like move-out cleaning, move-in cleaning costs in DC vary based on the size of the home and which services you need. On average, expect to pay:
- 1 bedroom apartment – $80 to $120
- 2-3 bedroom house – $120 to $180
Having your new place professionally cleaned before you move in ensures it’s clean and sanitized when you arrive. No need to scrub someone else’s dirt and messes.
Tips for Keeping Costs Low
Here are some tips to get affordable prices for your move-in move-out cleaning Washington DC:
- Hire the same cleaning agency to handle both move-out and move-in cleaning. You can often get a discounted bundled rate.
- Group neighborhood cleanings together if you know others moving in or out nearby. The agency may offer a group discount.
- Schedule on a regular business day, not weekends when rates are higher.
- Get quotes from 3-4 services and compare rates. But make sure to verify they are insured.
- Provide your cleaning supplies like mops, brooms, and towels rather than having the cleaner provide them.
- Remove clutter, furniture, and items you don’t want to be cleaned from the area to reduce cleaning time costs.
- Opt for just the essential standard cleaning tasks, not add-ons like windows or carpet cleaning. Handle those yourself if needed.
- For move-in cleaning, request just a quick clean of livable condition so you can unload, then schedule a deeper clean after.
Following these tips can help you get a reasonably priced move-in/move-out cleaning in DC! Just be sure to schedule professional cleaners in advance, as top companies book up quickly during peak moving seasons.
What to Look for in a Moving Cleaning Service
To ensure you get quality and reliable cleaning services for your move, look for these things when hiring:
- Licensed and Insured – This protects you in case of damages.
- Experienced Cleaners – Look for companies with a long track record of positive move cleaning reviews.
- Supplies All Equipment – The cleaners should bring their commercial-grade supplies and equipment to get the job done right.
- Thorough Cleaning Checklist – They should clean according to a detailed checklist that covers all areas of the home.
- Move-In/Out Specials – Choose a service that offers bundled packages and discounts for cleaning both units.
- Free In-Home Estimates – Reputable cleaners will provide free estimates after assessing your home in person.
- Flexible Booking – Look for a company that can accommodate your moving timeline and schedule.
Hiring professional cleaners for your Washington DC move-in and move-out can give you peace of mind that both units will be cleaned properly for a fair price. Just do your research to pick the best service.
What is move-in and move-out cleaning?
Move-in/move-out cleaning refers to professional cleaning services to clean a property after someone moves out or before someone new moves in. Move-out cleaning involves thoroughly cleaning the entire vacated property – including appliances, floors, windows, bathrooms, etc – to meet the conditions specified in the rental agreement. This allows tenants to get their security deposit back. Move-in cleaning is cleaning a new rental property before the new tenants move their belongings in so it’s clean for them to inhabit.
How clean should you leave your house when you move out?
When moving out of a rented home or apartment, you should leave it in the same clean condition it was in when you moved in, per your rental agreement. Follow your rental cleaning checklist closely to meet move-out cleaning requirements.
Is it the tenant’s responsibility to clean before moving out?
Yes, it is usually the renters’ responsibility outlined in the lease agreement to thoroughly clean the property before moving out. If tenants do not clean sufficiently, landlords can use the security deposit to hire cleaners to restore the rental to move-in conditions.
To avoid deposit deductions, tenants should clean thoroughly themselves or hire professional cleaners. Leaving the property messy, dirty, or damaged can result in losing your security deposit or being charged additional cleaning fees.
Moving in and out of rentals in Washington DC makes cleaning a necessity both to get security deposits back and to move into a clean new home. While DIY cleaning is possible, hiring professional move cleaning services can save you time and ensure it gets done properly. Average costs range from $80 to $250 depending on home size and which services you need.
With some tips to keep costs low and a detailed cleaning checklist, you can get affordable move-in and move-out cleanings in DC. Just be sure to hire insured, reputable cleaners. With their help, you can move stress-free knowing both units are cleaned completely.