Does your apartment sometimes feel like a war zone with clutter and grime slowly taking over? Do piles of dishes tower over you while dust bunnies multiply under your bed? If your home is beginning to feel more chaotic than calm, don’t abandon all hope! With the right apartment cleaning checklist, you can tackle any mess.
According to the American Cleaning Institute’s Cleaning Science program, following consistent cleaning routines using the proper products removes up to 99.9% of bacteria and viruses from home environments.
This ultimate guide will help you transform your space from disastrous to dazzling. You’ll first learn how to declutter those problem zones to uncover buried surfaces begging for a good scrub.
High Traffic Areas
Areas like the kitchen, bathrooms, and entryways tend to accumulate dirt, germs, and clutter quickly because of frequent use. Be sure to clean these high-traffic zones first and most often thoroughly.
The kitchen can become grimy rapidly, especially appliances, floors, countertops, and sinks.
- Wipe kitchen counters using a disinfecting solution daily
- Clean the interior microwave every other day
- Sanitize exterior handles and surfaces of appliances weekly
- Descale and disinfect the kitchen sink weekly
- Mop, sweep floors, and clean baseboards weekly
- Vacuum refrigerator coils every 2 months
- Deep clean inside fridge, oven, and cabinets quarterly
Staying on top of daily tidy-up and regular disinfecting of the kitchen prevents messes from piling up.
As a bathroom gets lots of use, soap scum, mold, and mildew can flourish.
- Disinfect toilets, sinks, showers, tubs daily
- Squeegee glass doors and mirrors after showers
- Take out the trash immediately if it smells
- Clean exhaust fans monthly
- Descale faucets and shower heads quarterly
- Recaulk sinks, showers, tubs yearly
Quick daily bathroom wipe-downs between deeper cleans help prevent grime and bacteria from accumulating.
Entryways and Mudrooms
Entryways track in outdoor dirt and need frequent attention.
- Shake out doormats daily
- Dust surfaces in the mudroom weekly
- Sweep and mop floors weekly
- Wash welcome mats monthly
- Vacuum runners and hang coats neatly
Tending to entryways regularly curtails clutter and outdoor grime from infiltrating the apartment.
WHO states that routinely disinfecting high-touch surfaces, improving indoor ventilation, and using cleaners containing antiseptic ingredients protect inhabitants against numerous illness-causing pathogens.
Weekly Apartment Cleaning
Doing a thorough clean of the entire apartment weekly stops dust and dirt accumulation.
As a common area, the living room requires vigilance to keep it tidy.
- Dust all surfaces and electronics
- Fluff and rotate couch cushions
- Vacuum under furniture and flooring thoroughly, including edges
- Take out trash bins before overflowing
- Wash throw blankets monthly
Sticking to a weekly living room reset keeps things fresh and orderly.
Bedrooms can easily become chaotic spaces. Regular cleaning is essential.
- Make beds daily, wash sheets weekly
- Put away clothing items immediately after use
- Dust furniture, windowsills, and baseboards weekly
- Vacuum carpet fibers thoroughly, especially high-traffic paths to closet and bathroom
Maintaining bedrooms weekly reduces chaotic clutter and dusty surfaces.
Remote work has more people working from home needing to maintain focused, clean office areas and workstations.
- File away paper documents immediately after use
- Dust computer monitors, keyboards, and phones weekly
- Take notes on whiteboards instantly to keep organized
- Empty small office trash bins frequently
Frequently tidying office spaces clears away distracting debris.
Staying on top of the laundry deters piles of clothes accumulating.
- Wash clothes weekly or when hampers become full
- Immediately treat stained garments
- Air out musty-smelling towels or linens
- Fold and put away dried items promptly
Keeping laundry cleaned, dried, and put away neatly daily prevents overflowing hampers.
Monthly Apartment Deep Cleaning
Some areas only require deep cleaning sessions every month. Tackle these spots monthly to prevent heavy soiling.
Windows easily accumulate dust, dirt, and grime.
- Wash interior windows and sills monthly
- Clean exterior windows quarterly or as possible
- Vacuum blinds every 2 months
- Dust curtains monthly
- Wash curtains twice yearly
Handling windows monthly keeps the apartment bright and dust-free.
Phones, TVs, computers, and appliances collect dust and require special care.
- Disinfect phones and screens weekly
- Clean fingerprint smudges off appliances, TVs, and laptops monthly
- Dust desk and laptop docking stations monthly
- Clean keyboard keys every 2 months
Scheduled electronic device wipedowns prevent debris accumulation.
Walls and Baseboards
Walls and baseboards gather surprising gunk and dirt over time.
- Spot clean walls monthly
- Dust baseboards monthly
- Repaint walls yearly or as needed
- Repair cracked caulking yearly
Monthly wall dusting and yearly paint touch-ups keep things looking freshly painted.
Seasonal Apartment Cleaning
Adapt cleaning checklists as seasons change. These seasonal resets prepare apartments for new weather.
As winter thaws into spring, it’s time to strip away cabin fever grime.
- Wash walls fully
- Clean windows thoroughly inside and out
- Flip and sanitize mattresses, wash bedding
- Wash throws, duvets, pillows
- Clear out closets and storage
Use spring cleaning to clear away clutter, dust, and mustiness accumulated over winter. Open windows to circulate fresh air.
Summer’s heat and humidity create unique cleaning challenges.
- Clean AC filters monthly
- Remove debris that collected over the winter
- Wash mold-prone window sills monthly
- Clean humidifiers and dehumidifiers
- Store warm weather items neatly
Adjusting the cleaning routine for summer discourages allergens and moisture-related issues.
As leaves fall, prepare living spaces for cooler weather.
- Flip mattresses to the warmer side
- Remove and clean air conditioners
- Reverse ceiling fans to circulate warm air
- Clean fireplace, and chimney for use if needed
- Clear out gutters and drains
Take advantage of autumn’s crisp air to get the apartment ready for hibernating indoors.
The cold, dark winter months require some specialized TLC.
- Weatherproof windows, and doors with caulk
- Insulate pipes, faucets
- Clean radiators, and vents thoroughly
- Vacuum carpet fibers to plump them up
- Check the functioning of smoke and CO detectors
Sealing up the apartment protects from drafts and prepares heating systems for frequent use.
Annual Deep Cleaning
An intense deep clean on an annual basis gives the entire apartment a fresh start.
Johns Hopkins Medicine allergy and immunology experts advise HEPA vacuuming carpets and upholstery regularly to reduce indoor allergens like dust mites and pet dander.
Foot traffic means carpets slowly accumulate grime below surface level.
- Professionally deep clean carpets and rugs yearly
- Immediately spot clean food spills and stains
- Lay down runners to protect high-traffic areas
Annual professional carpet cleaning removes deep ground in dirt.
Sofas and chairs also deserve special restores.
- Professionally clean upholstered furniture yearly
- Invest in specialty spot cleaners for food, grease, etc
- Apply fabric protectors to prevent future staining
- Reupholster dining chairs if worn
Routine professional upholstery cleaning keeps soft surfaces sanitary long term.
Kitchen and Bathrooms
Kitchens and bathrooms require detail beyond routine scrub sessions.
- Have the exhaust system professionally cleaned yearly
- Descale faucets and shower heads to redistribute minerals
- Remove sink drain stoppers to clean fully
- Replace old, cracked caulking yearly
These occasionally overlooked tasks make kitchens and bathrooms shine.
Walls and Ceilings
Walls and ceilings slowly show signs of wear and tear over the years.
- Fill cracks and holes in ceilings and walls
- Repaint rooms on a rolling basis every 2-3 years
- Replace damaged drywall if moisture-related sagging occurs
Patching flaws and refreshing paint keep things looking newly done.
Some odd jobs get forgotten but are integral for a total clean.
- Dust vents, light fixtures, ceiling fans yearly
- Clean behind appliances and heavy furniture yearly
- Wash trash cans thoroughly yearly
- Replace AC filters 2-4 times per year
Make sure to hit these forgotten spots during an annual overhaul.
Just follow the daily, weekly, monthly, seasonal, and annual cleaning schedules outlined ahead. In no time, order will be perfectly restored without losing your sanity.
Elevate cleaning routines with these special touches for a spa-like space.
The right scents set a mood while cleaning.
- Burn natural soy candles in calming fragrances: vanilla, cinnamon broom, lavender eucalyptus
- Simmer citrus peels and spices on the stovetop
- Spritz linen spray lightly on curtains
- Diffuse essential oils like lemon and tea tree to also sanitize the air
Pleasant aromas make cleaning more enjoyable while naturally freshening rooms.
Let the Light In
The proper lighting creates an inviting ambiance.
- Fluff and rotate couch cushions to evenly expose them to light
- Pull back curtains and open blinds fully
- Replace burned-out light bulbs immediately, using soft white bulbs
- Add lamps to poorly lit corners
Proper illumination makes the apartment feel airy and new.
Music and Podcasts
Listening to favorite audio programs passes the time pleasantly.
- Create a specialized cleaning playlist
- Download entertaining podcasts to immerse in
- Sync phone to wireless speakers to broadcast throughout
Audio stimulation makes solo tasks less tedious.
Establishing organizational habits prevents cleaning frustrations. Simple daily tidying keeps chaos contained.
Proper storage keeps like items together and clutter at bay.
- Clearly label bins and baskets
- Assign miscellaneous spaces for items without a “home”
- Regularly rotate seasonal items into and out of storage
- Donate unused items 2 times per year
Strategic storage solutions reduce clutter’s spread.
Daily Tidy Up
Putting things immediately back after use halts disorder.
- Wash dishes after cooking and eating
- Promptly put clothing items back into closets or hampers after wearing
- Remove trash immediately to prevent overflow
- Make the bed each morning
Quick daily tidy-up is key to minimizing big messes.
Embracing a maintenance mindset keeps cleaning manageable.
- Deal with spots and spills as they happen to limit stain-setting
- Shake out doormats whenever passing to prevent tracked in debris
- Wipe kitchen counters immediately after cooking not just on cleaning day
- Squeeze bath towels dry after use so they fully air dry
Cleaning with consistency makes apartment upkeep achievable.
Consider Professional Cleaners
While regular home cleaning is essential, even the most diligent people can overlook some lingering dirt. Professional cleaners have extensive experience banishing grime in hard-to-reach places. They also utilize powerful equipment and products unavailable for home use.
This comprehensive cleaning checklist ensures every space stays fresh. Breaking tasks into daily tidying, weekly cleaning, monthly deep cleaning, and seasonal preparation keeps chaos contained. Annual deep cleans tackle embedded dirt. Establishing organizational habits like storage solutions, daily straightening, and quick mess maintenance prevents messes from accumulating between sessions. With this apartment cleaning schedule, your home stays welcoming year-round.