Keeping a clean home can feel like an endless chore. Dirty dishes pile up in the sink, dust accumulates on shelves, and floors get sticky and dirty. Trying to deep clean the entire house in one go can feel totally overwhelming. That’s why having a detailed house cleaning checklist is so helpful for getting every room clean and sparkling.
This comprehensive cleaning checklist will take you step-by-step through tidying and sanitizing your whole home. Printable house cleaning checklists like this make it easy to systematize your daily cleaning checklist and routine.
Dividing house cleaning tasks into manageable chunks prevents you from feeling overloaded. By focusing on one room each day or week, you can maintain a clean house without becoming a slave to nonstop cleaning.
This monthly cleaning checklist outlines:
- Daily cleaning tasks
- Weekly cleaning schedule
- Monthly cleaning checklist
Adapt this checklist to your own home and lifestyle for a customized whole-house cleaning system.
Kitchen – The Heart of the Home
As the hub of the home, the kitchen needs frequent attention. Give bathroom counters in this busy room a thorough cleaning at least once a week.
Daily Kitchen Cleaning
- Wash dirty dishes – don’t let them accumulate in the sink!
- Wipe down counters and appliances with a disinfecting cleaner
- Sweep up crumbs and dirt from the floor
- Take out the garbage and recycling
Weekly Kitchen Cleaning
- Clean inside the microwave by boiling a bowl of water inside for 2 minutes. Wipe down the inside with a damp microfiber cloth.
- Dust light fixtures so they shine brightly
- Scrub the sink and wipe down the faucet until they gleam
- Decalcify and disinfect small appliances like the coffee maker
- Shake out kitchen mats and rugs outside
- Mop floors thoroughly – don’t forget the corners!
Monthly Kitchen Cleaning
- Clean the inside of the refrigerator and discard expired old food
- Scrub stove grates and burners to remove cooked-on food
- Clean oven and stove hood vents – they get very greasy
- Use a duster to remove dust from top of kitchen cabinets
- Clean cabinet fronts, handles, and doors with an all-purpose cleaner
- Vacuum refrigerator coils so the fridge runs efficiently
- Scrub kitchen floor grout to remove grime
Bathrooms – Disinfect Germ Hot Spots
Since bathrooms harbor hot water and lots of germs, they need frequent disinfecting. Clean bathrooms at least once a week, or more often for heavily used bathrooms.
Daily Bathroom Cleaning
- Spray down the sink and counter with an antibacterial cleaner
- Scrub the toilet bowl and exterior with a toilet brush
- Clean the mirror with glass cleaner for a streak-free shine
- Neaten bath mats, towels, rugs, and accessories
Weekly Bathroom Cleaning
- Scrub bathtub and shower walls with a strong bathroom cleaner or bleach solution
- Disinfect doorknobs, light switches, handles, and other frequented surfaces
- Sweep and thoroughly mop floors – don’t forget the grout!
Monthly Bathroom Cleaning
- Empty drawers and cabinets and clean the interiors
- Remove dust from light fixtures
- Scrub grout and caulk to remove mildew and stains
- Remove and clean the exhaust fan filter
- Deep clean tile floors with a brush and cleaner
Bedrooms – Restful Havens
Bedrooms tend to collect dust and clutter. Give them a refresh once a week so they remain restful havens.
Daily Bedroom Cleaning
- Make the bed neatly
- Put away stray items and clothing lying around
- Gently straighten furniture and decor
Weekly Bedroom Cleaning
- Use a microfiber cloth to dust surfaces and knick-knacks
- Vacuum carpeted floors, moving furniture to reach edges and corners
- Clean mirrors with a gentle glass cleaner
- Sweep hard floors and mop if needed
- Change bed linens so you have fresh, clean sheets
Seasonal Bedroom Cleaning
- Machine wash pillows and mattress pad
- Shampoo carpets to revive fibers
- Dust ceiling corners, fans, and fixtures
- Wash windows, window sills, and window treatments
- Wipe down baseboards to remove cobwebs and dust
- Clean under beds and furniture
Living Spaces – High-Traffic Areas
Frequently used living spaces like family rooms need regular upkeep. Prioritize tidying and vacuuming daily.
Daily Living Room Cleaning
- Fluff and straighten pillows, blankets, and cushions
- Put away books, toys, electronics, and clutter
- Vacuum high-traffic areas and pathways
Weekly Living Room Cleaning
- Carefully dust surfaces and decor items
- Vacuum carpeted floors and area rugs thoroughly
- Sweep hard floors and mop if needed
- Clean leather or vinyl furniture as needed
- Machine wash throw pillows, blankets, and slipcovers
Monthly Living Room Cleaning
- Use a microfiber duster on blinds, curtains, and windows
- Move furniture to vacuum all around and underneath
- Dust ceiling fans, lights, and fixtures
- Wash windows inside and out
- Professionally shampoo upholstered furniture and carpets
Whole House – Seasonal Deep Cleaning
Some cleaning chores only need to be done once or twice a year. Schedule seasonal deep cleaning sessions when you have more time.
Seasonal Whole House Cleaning
- Wash walls, ceilings, vents, and light fixtures
- Inspect and clean the chimney
- Wash windows throughout the house
- Flip mattresses and sanitize bed frames
- Machine wash throw rugs, pillows, cushions, etc.
- Dust ceilings, fans, moldings, shelving, etc.
- Clean out closets, pantries, and storage areas
- Wash inside of washer, dryer, and laundry appliances
- Replace AC filters as needed
- Deep clean tile and grout throughout the home
- Professionally shampoo upholstered furniture
Customize Your Cleaning Checklist
Print out this detailed checklist to get and stay organized with cleaning. Tailor it to fit your home’s needs by adding or removing items. Prioritize the various cleaning supplies and tasks that matter most for your household.
Break bigger chores down into quick, manageable steps. Set a timer for 10-15 focused minutes per task. Play upbeat music to make cleaning more enjoyable. Reward yourself when you complete your weekly cleaning checklist!
By following a systemized house cleaning checklist, you can maintain cleanliness and prevent huge messes from accumulating. A little bit of cleaning each day keeps your home fresh and inviting. Your house will be clean enough to pass the white glove test!
With this schedule, you can host guests or relax at home with the calm only an orderly environment provides. Use this comprehensive seasonal cleaning checklist to make home cleaning efficient, effective, and even satisfying. Get every room clean and sparkling from floor to ceiling!