We have to admit that cleaning is not everyone’s pastime. However, tidying your home will help improve your mental and physical wellness.
Table of Contents
Cleaning can be a hassle, but with proper planning and cleaning supplies, it will be efficient and effective. If you’re living in Alexandria, VA and this happens to be your problem, you’re in the right place! If you’re unsure where to start and wondering if you’re cleaning your house the right way, keep reading.
With our years of experience, we have gathered important cleaning checklist and tips from reliable house cleaning services to help you learn the secret to cleaning your home effectively. So, take out your cleaning supplies, turn on your favorite playlist, and let’s start cleaning!
General Household Cleaning Tips
Have a system in place
Cleaning should be performed regularly to keep your house clean and sleek. This means cleaning must be a part of your routine.
When you clean your house, follow the same order and set a system. For example, working one room at a time, starting and finishing the same spot in a room. This also includes dusting throughout your entire house before starting the next chore.
An effective way of cleaning does not come in speed but in consistency and the order you follow.
Dust from top to bottom, left to right
Don’t miss this out on your house deep cleaning checklist. Start cleaning and dusting from the top of the room, down to the floor to avoid repetition of work. Dust your blinds and ceiling fans first then work your way down to your coffee table and to the floor.
Use a wet cloth and tie it to the ends of the mops and brooms to remove cobwebs. Use glass cleaner on microfiber to clean your framed photos, TV screens, and computer monitors.
Additionally, make sure to clean left to right to ensure that you are able to cover the entire room. Removing those piles of dust can help preserve the condition of your furniture and appliances. If you’re dealing with your marble countertops, the cleaning approach is quite different. Make sure you check the best marble countertop cleaning ideas first before dealing with this. You don’t want to damage your precious countertops!
Keep proper cleaning equipment within reach.
This is a very important tip you should add to your cleaning house checklist. Walking back and forth just to get some cleaning products and tools from a different area can waste so much of your time. To eliminate this problem, it is best to wear an apron, a carpenter’s tool belt, or filling pockets to keep your cleaning equipment and supplies at arm’s reach.
You can also prepare a caddy or a bucket to place all your supplies. This will help you stay organized and save time.
Vacuum in Rows
Another excellent way to cut down cleaning time is to vacuum in rows. To efficiently clean your room, vacuum the entire length of the room in a straight row, before moving over. It is also recommended to vacuum high foot traffic areas once a week.
Ensure that your cleaning tools are clean
Before starting any dusting and cleaning, it is vital to ensure that your cleaning tools must be clean. This is to avoid spending more time cleaning since your tools or equipment aren’t cleaned beforehand.
Clean Mirrors and Glass in Horizontal Strokes
There are several ways to clean your glass and mirror, yet the most recommended method is to use horizontal strokes. Also, move it from top to bottom. Avoid wiping and cleaning your window in circles, as it can leave streaks. Consequently, the use of newspaper or paper towels is highly discouraged as these leave residue.
You can either use a window squeegee and a drop of dishwashing soap to wipe your glass and mirror, or you can also use a specific glass cleaner and a microfiber cloth.
Room by Room Cleaning Checklist
We have covered the most basic and general household cleaning tricks, now it’s time to focus on the different rooms in your house. Here is a professional house cleaning checklist that will definitely be of significant help.
- Sweep, mop, or scrub kitchen floors. If you’re using carpets, then might as well follow some effective yet safe carpet cleaning tips.
- Wipe off the grease from the cooktop, countertops, and cabinets using one tablespoon of liquid detergent with a gallon of warm water.
- Remove and throw expired items from your refrigerator or pantry.
- Clean and disinfect garbage bins with few lemon rinds and cold water.
- Clean the dishwasher using a cup of vinegar and ½ cup of baking soda.
- Clean and wipe out the sink with hot soapy water.
- Using mineral oil, clean and remove fingerprints, smudges and watermarks in your stainless steel sinks and surfaces.
- Fight the bathroom molds with hydrogen peroxide and use a squeegee to wipe it out.
- Sundry your towels and wash them with bleach and water.
- Clean the floor grout with ¾ cup household chlorine bleach with 1 gallon of water. Use a brush and apply it to the area. Allow it to sit for several minutes, then scrub and rinse.
- Use coffee filters to make your mirrors shine again.
- Replace rugs and wastebaskets.
- For stained plumbing fixtures, clean them using white vinegar and wipe them with a clean cloth.
- Remove all wall doodles by scrubbing it lightly with a cloth sprinkled with baking soda.
- Sweep and vacuum floors.
- Strengthen and make your bed. You may also put a mint on your pillow.
- Declutter and organize your closet and sock drawer.
- Use a peeled walnut to remove scuffs or scratches on your wooden furniture.
Let’s wrap up!
The key to a tidy and polished home is regular upkeep and proper cleaning method. It’s not everyone’s hobby to clean their house, yet no one wants to stay in a messy one, right? Hopefully, we’ve helped you make your own cleaning system that works for you.
But if you need more assistance on a professional house cleaning checklist in Alexandria, VA, you can contact us today. We are your reliable local maid service in Alexandria. Just a short call and we can talk more about your cleaning needs. We understand that cleanliness is more important today considering the threat of infectious diseases.
We also offer an online booking appointment service here, or just visit us on Instagram!